Wednesday, October 28, 2009

i hope you're happy!


i don't know if this is a saying people still say anymore. but i feel like i heard it a lot as a kid. like i'd be too impatient to wait for my mom to pour me some kool-aid, so i'd try to pour it myself and of course i'd spill the whole damn thing and then my mom would say "now nobody gets any kool-aid! i hope you're happy!" and of course, i would not be happy. i'd be quite the opposite. and to be frank, i don't even think my mom was actually hoping that i was happy. i realize that, in writing, it might seem like my mom was glad that no one would get kool-aid and she genuinely wished for my happiness. but, you guys, the way she said it indicated otherwise. she would say it in a way that made it seem like she actually wanted me to feel really bad about the fact that no one would get any kool-aid.

i don't want to make my mom sound mean. she's nice. i honestly don't remember any specific time when she said, "i hope you're happy" in a mean way. but i was thinking about that phrase and how it's commonly used in the mean way. but if you look at the words, it's really like the kindest thing you could ever say to somebody. so i'm gonna try to start using that saying all the time. hopefully it will confuse the hell out of people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Say "hi" to Patrick for me. I hope you guys are happy.

pete said...

insightful!