Friday, May 29, 2009

a portrait of the blogger as a young man

i found this in the house i grew up in. it's a picture i drew (a self-portrait?) on the back of a brown paper bag. it depicts a deranged man shooting a gun. near the man, is what appears to be a flaming corpse. maybe it's a dead bat. that could be. i'm guestimating that this picture was drawn when i was around 5 or 6. i was a big fan of zelda around that time. and killing bats was a really difficult aspect of that game for me.
i'm also really proud of my bold decision to sign my name, not at the bottom, but at the top of the picture. and i feel that signing it backwards was extremely symbolic.
i'm not sure why there were so many guns in my drawings when i was a kid. maybe it was because my parents encouraged gun violence in my playtime activities.

No comments: